Thursday, July 24, 2014

ART GONE OLD - THE THREE AGES OF WOMAN (1905) by GUSTAV KLIMT

I AM FOND OF ART. I am fond of women. I'm also fond of exploring the effects that time has on us as human beings. Take all three of these things that I have a fondness for and toss 'em in a blender on "HI," and I am in Heaven. That is exactly where artist Gustav Klimt places me whenever I look upon what I consider to be one of his greatest masterpieces, The Three Ages of Woman (1905).
     It depicts a female child in the embrace of a beautiful, young adult woman in her prime and beside them stands a withered,  old crone with bowed head being held in one hand (perhaps lamenting over her lost youth). A little tragic, yes, but the beauty in this image is undeniable. It is as beautiful symbolically as it is aesthetically.
    I have yet to set my eyes on another work of art that has been able satisfy my thirst for female age progression. It's completely brilliant.

JUST A NOTE: The old crone in this painting was in fact inspired by one of Auguste Rodin's famous sculptures, The Old Courtesan. More on that later.

No comments: